Sunday, October 28, 2007

Fugitive from the Law

Dad got a letter for me yesterday from the NYS DMV. Basically I'm being accused of missing a court date and/or not paying my fine for my speeding ticket way back in May in West Virginia. Of course, I did pay the ticket. I didn't go to the court hearing because when I explained to the courthouse that I live an hour away, they said all I had to do was pay the fine.

Anyway, that was six months ago and just now I'm getting a letter that says my license is going to be suspended indefinitely. Why am I just getting something now? I don't know if I should be angrier at WV or NY. Either way I don't think I'm going to turn in my license right away because 1) I just got this letter and 2) I'd have a few hours just to get to the DMV anyway.

[UPDATE: The West Virginia courthouse claims that they received my signed ticket, but no check. I found my check stub (which to me is proof that I sent the check) but I can't find my bank statement from that month, and it looks like it's going to be quite a hassle to get it. I repaid the fine with a credit card, so I should be all set with getting my license back on track, but now I have to make sure I wasn't charged twice.]

2 comments:

laura said...

Crazy, man!

Jessica said...

Don't bother coming home for Thanksgiving, I don't want my children associating with criminals.